Home  >  FAQs  >  Can The State Force Me To Pay Alimony

Can The State Force Me To Pay Alimony?

Simply put, yes. If your alimony is court ordered then you can be found in contempt of court and fined, imprisoned or both for your failure to pay alimony. If your alimony is contained in a separation agreement then the judge could find you to be in breach of contract and order you to specifically perform your contractual obligations. Failure to do so may result in fine, imprisonment or both.