Home  >  FAQs  >  Can I Get Legal Protection From An Abusive Spouse

Can I get legal protection from an abusive spouse?

Yes. North Carolina offers Domestic Violence Protection Orders (DVPO) to people who need protection from an abusive spouse, partner, or member of the household. There is no fee for a DVPO. You can get an emergency (ex parte) order without a hearing, but it will only last for 10 days. For a longer order of protection, you will need to appear in court along with your spouse or partner.

Knowing the law is a very important part of keeping yourself safe. To discuss your legal options with an experienced Raleigh restraining order lawyer, contact Marshall & Taylor PLLC at (919) 833-1040.