Home  >  Articles  >  Understanding Temporary Spousal Support

Understanding Temporary Spousal Support

Divorce is typically a difficult process, regardless of the circumstances. However, for a spouse who has depended on the financial support of his or her partner, the emotional difficulty of a divorce is compounded by potential monetary troubles. It can take months or even years for a divorce settlement to be reached. Furthermore, North Carolina often requires a significant trial separation period before divorce proceedings can be finalized. For someone without means to support themselves, this can be a painful period of uncertainty.

If you or someone you know are considering a divorce but do not have the means to support yourself, you may require temporary spousal support. Contact the Raleigh spousal support attorneys of the Marshall & Taylor Law Firm, P.C., at 919-833-1040 to learn more about what assistance you may qualify for during this difficult time.

Eligibility for Temporary Spousal Support

Temporary spousal support, also known as alimony pendente lite or post-separation support, is paid when a couple is separated but not officially divorced. Eligibility for this type of support is similar to the guidelines determining alimony following a divorce. Among other things, these factors may affect the court’s decision on your eligibility:

  • The contribution each spouse makes to household income
  • Each spouse’s actual or potential earning ability
  • The effect of separation on the custodial parent’s earnings
  • Age, mental, and physical status of both partners

These factors will often determine whether a spouse can receive temporary spousal support or not. However, an attorney can also help defend your interests if you are need of post-separation support.

Contact Us

If you are looking at the possibility of divorce yet require temporary spousal support, an experienced attorney can help you get what you need. Contact the Raleigh spousal support lawyers of the Marshall & Taylor Law Firm, P.C., at 919-833-1040 to discuss your situation with one of our legal professionals.