Home  >  Articles  >  Interested In A Spousal Name Change

Interested in a Spousal Name Change

In North Carolina, a spouse may petition for a name change at the time that a divorce complaint is filed, or when an answer to a divorce complaint is filed. In conjunction with a divorce in North Carolina, a spouse may choose from a maiden name, the surname of a prior spouse who is deceased, or the name of a prior spouse with whom there is a child, if that child has the prior spouse’s surname. At the time of the divorce hearing the court will issue an order granting the name change at no additional cost. After the divorce judgement has been granted, a name change petition may be entered by presenting the clerk of court with the divorce document, at which time a nominal fee will be due to complete the name change order.