Benefits of Legal Separation
A legal separation involves a written agreement in which a couple outlines the rights and responsibilities
of each party while living apart. In many ways, a separation is a lot like a divorce. So why would a
couple choose to go through a separation instead?
A legal separation can be a smart alternative to an immediate divorce. However, the legal implications
of this type of agreement are best reached with assistance from a knowledgeable lawyer. To talk about
your marital situation with a qualified and caring attorney, call the Raleigh legal separation lawyers
of Marshall & Taylor PLLC at (919) 833-1040.
There are many advantages to a legal separation rather than a divorce, including:
- Time to consider divorceA separation gives a couple time living apart to decide if divorce is the right choice.
- Religious reasonsSome religions do not allow divorce.
- Financial reasonsSome debts or assets gained during a separation may be considered separate property.
- Insurance reasonsSome policies retain spousal benefits for separated couples.
- Social security benefitsSome social security benefits come into effect after ten years of legal marriage.
- Tax benefitsContinuing to file joint taxes may result in benefits.
If you are considering a split from your spouse, you might want to consider a separation rather than
a divorce. For any questions you have regarding the implications of a separation, or any other divorce-related
issues, do not hesitate to contact the Raleigh separation attorneys of Marshall & Taylor PLLC Our qualified
lawyers can work with you to discuss your legal options and help you make the best choice for your family
and your future. Contact our offices today at (919) 833-1040 to schedule a consultation.